ANIMALS IN GREENE COUNTY, INDIANA

This blog is formed for the intent of publicizing the plight of animals in Greene County, Indiana. Concerned Citizens have formed a seperate, all volunteer, non-profit animal welfare group- MIDWEST FRIENDS OF ANIMALS- in order to attempt to take action for the many abused, neglected and unwantd animals thrown away on a daily basis in Greene County.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007




HAPPY MAC GETS A HOME!!
The beginning of McCoy's happy ending started February 12, as his new owner arrived from out of state to take him home and spoil him forever!

Don't forget how Mac looked when we received him at 25lbs and nearly dead in late July '06!

AFTER BEING TREATED FOR HEARTWORM INFECTION AND NUMEROUS OTHER PROBLEMS, McCoy welcomed in '07 in great health!

NOW HE IS SETTLING IN TO HIS NEW FOREVER HOME!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO SENT PRAYERS AND DONATIONS FOR HIS CARE AND WELL BEING! THANK YOU TO LINTON VET CLINIC FOR SEEING HIS POTENTIAL AND GIVING HIM A CHANCE AT GETTING INTO RESCUE!!

MAC's NEW HOME with FURRY ROOMATE AND VISITING NEPHEWS PHOTOS COMING SOON!!

McCoy's Story in "his words": STORY OF MAC- IN HIS WORDS"Each morning of my life I opened my eyes and wondered how much longer my life would last. I wondered if each day held any relief or if things would instead get worse". For 3 long years I suffered from extreme neglect at the hands of a woman who thought nothing of watching me waste away and my bones appear. I thought I remembered seeing a veterinarian once when I was a puppy.....but I had not seen anyone since then. "I wondered every morning what was worse, the pain in my empty stomach or the unbearble itching from the thousands of fleas that fed upon my weak body, or my lonliness and lack of love. Even the ticks that attached to me had died a slow death from starvation""I've lived a sad life chained to a small dog house without any other shade in the blistering sun. I wondered why the people who passed by my home didn't notice me or at least bring me something to eat. Surely they could see I was in danger and dying? Finally the day came that my friend and companion died. That was a sad day. My buddy was the only thing that made me feel loved, and now my buddy was gone. I watched as they put my buddies body in a plastic bag and just left it, in my sight. Now each day I woke up looking at the body in the bag daily and felt sadness for my friend, and wondered if that would be my fate soon too., just another body in a bag. Soon with the outrageously hot weather, I smelled my friends decomposing body long before I opened my eyes each morning. So now I wondered how much worse things could be. I woke up hungry, flea infested and itching and now smelling death. Things were only going to get worse for me and I prepared to meet my end.A miracle then happened. Neighbors began complaining to the police about the smell in our yard. When they came to investigate and found the body of the dead dog, they saw me too. I looked like a walking skeleton and had ripped out all my hair on my body from fighting the fleas and pests. I heard alot of talking with the owner....the police wanted to see the other dogs in the house but she refused to show them, for now, the focus turned finally , at along last, to helping ME!! ! I was thrilled to greet the policemen and pose for pictures. Then they went away and my heart dropped......for about an hour I wondered if my saviors would be back. My heart surged with happiness when back in rode the hero's, vet statement in their hands and they seized me and took me into the nearby vet office.I was still so happy to be off my short chain and my hopes were so high that I might find some relief here from my stomach pain and painful skin. Everyone huddled around me for a long time.....checking me for everything imaginable. Everyone there was kind and looked at me with sad eyes and had many harsh things to say about my owner. Everyone seemed very upset and I often heard the repeated refrain, "How can anyone do this to their dog?" In the end they decided that besides obviously being emaciated (I think that means super skinny and underfed!) I had heartworm infection and a skin infection.There was much discussion over what the next step was, I didn't know some people were wondering if it would be the 'right thing' to 'humanely euthanize' and end my life. What they needed was a safe place for me to go to , someplace where there people would treat me with all the love and care they'd give their own pets. Who would possibly want to come in and pick up a dog in my condition and treat me with loving care? They wouldn't even know me at all and no one had cared up until then. All I could do was show my best traits, my sunny smile, myeagerness for love, my willingness to comply with all they asked of me. Then I settled into a kennel at the vets to await the decision.Little did I know, the vet tech was burning up the phone lines looking for a safe place for me to recouperate. She reached another animal group and that group sent another man in to take more pictures of me at the vet. He seemed kind and was aghast at what he saw and said he WOULD be back for me. I crossed my paws and hoped for the best!(In a dramatic twist, the animal control officer showed up after that and asked for me and said he wanted to take me for a second opinion and then to be euthanized, but the Dr. stood up for me and said, "NO WAY!!" He explained what a great disposition I had and how special I was and that he would not let me be destroyed. Whew...dodged another bullet!! THANK YOU LINTON VET CLINIC!!)Then a nice lady came in for me!! Her energy told me she wanted to help me and would take me home. Home to a safe place to rest and recouperate. A home with a soft bed, plenty of good food and lots of love! A place where the damage of my life could be undone. I weighed 28.2 when I left that day. I'd gained a few pounds in the 2 days at the vets!!And now here I am, cuddled into a nice bed, and fed every 2 hours with both good dog food and what I especially love...REAL HUMAN FOOD!!! My new foster mom makes up a recipe with ground beef, karo syrup, peanut butter and oatmeal....that is deeeeelishious!!! I barely chew it I just wolf it down!!! I hear her husband laugh that she cooks more for me then for him. I'm sure glad she does! yummy!! They take me out alone into the yard to explore and go potty. I think my new roomates will like me when they get to know me, but I'm so weak and off balance now, "Mom" says I have to keep quiet and stay safe. I'm still alittle wobbly and weak. So I get to walk the garden alone with "foster mom' and sometimes by myself.....but I always find my way right back to the door way that leads to my help and happiness, a good meal and a soft bed and a kind word. Thank you God....and Thank you Linton Police Dept for getting me help! I know I would have been dead soon without your help!!!

UPDATE: After 7 long months of recouperating and being spoiled, I've gone to my new home in Wisconsin!! More updates soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home